Friday, September 11, 2009

Addicted

I am addicted to melting glass. I have an artist friend who is also addicted to melting glass. She specializes in tile art but like me her real love is melting glass. We sometimes do glass jewelry shows together. We converse by phone any new discoveries as every time something goes in the kiln something new and different appears. We feed our addiction by first having Tex-Mex for lunch a couple of times a month. After lunch we usually go to Hobby Lobby for art supplies and then venture to various stores looking for that special glass bottle to melt or glass in various forms to break and make jewelry. Since I started doing this everyone saves their wine bottles for me to recycle. Recently I started receiving all kinds of bottles and glass from my family and friends. I can't melt fast enough. I lay awake dreaming of what I am going to do with everything once it is melted. Now I am constantly on the lookout for different mediums to place the glass on to create beautiful mixed media art.

In the photo below a glass globe that was originally a shade for a chandelier magically became a candle holder. After it was melted the frost settled in just the right places for me to paint a candle that can be seen through parts of the glass. Acrylic paints were used. The flame is fabric paint and the upper part of the candle is wall plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment